Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Yardage question

I've been reading everybody's posts about increasing the number of lace pattern repeats and/or extending the length of the stockinette section, and will likely do the same. My question to all of you is: were you able to increase the length of the tank with the amount of yarn originally called for in the pattern, or was more yarn needed? If I am going to need more yarn, I want to make sure to get it before the store runs out of my color.

Haven't had a chance to get back to the tank yet, since I posted earlier about my missing stitch, but appreciated the supportive comments and suggestions, and will return to knitting shortly. Thanks!

5 comments:

Batty said...

Yeah, I had to rip back to the garter stitch because of a missing stitch on round 8. Couldn't find the mistake for the life of me. I now know that I really, really dislike bamboo yarn. It's pretty, but it's also splitty as heck, and stitches drop faster than you can catch them.

Anyhow, I'm curious about the yarn requirements as well. I'm planning on doing an extra lace repeat and at least 2 extra inches of stockinette stitch to keep the boobage in check. I have 3 skeins for the XS, which is more than the pattern calls for, but might not be enough for the modifications. What are other people's experiences?

Jackie F. said...

3 skeins should be enough. For my tank, I made the 39" size with an extra lace repeat and an extra inch of stockinette. I used 2 skeins plus 1/4-1/2 of the third skein. I'm hoping to have enough leftover to make my daughter a mini LBT.

Sophie_vf said...

Well, I added an inch plus 12 short rows to the XS size, and I'll have to start the third skein to finish the back. I think that without the modifications 2 might have been just enough. But I will for sure need three.

Stilaholic Nartian knits said...

3 skeins will be plenty for the extra lace pattern & extra St st for the XS.

I only did 1.5" of extra St st and since I'm almost done w/the 39" size, I still have maybe 1/3-1/2 of the 3rd skein left. I think I may even have room for a 5th lace repeat if I wanted to.

poipill said...

The yarn I'm using is 93 yards a ball and each ball did a little more than one lace repeat of the 39 inch size. I added 2 and a half inches to the stockinette part, for 5.5 inches total, and used a little over one ball there.